This full-day ALM will be delivered in conjunction with NSW Health Education and Training Institute (HETI) and NSW Health Centre for Education and Workforce Development. The ALM will be held off-site at a clinical simulation facility and will provide participants with opportunity to discuss and simulate a range of clinical scenarios reflecting the many challenges rural GPs face working in rural and remote communities. There will be a strong emphasis on emergency medicine situations, doctor self-care, coordinating and communicating with other healthcare professionals, stress management and debriefing.
The RHCS ALM will include:
- An overview of the processes and benefits of simulation centre learning
- A discussion about rural GP emergency medicine responses (pre-hospital, in-hospital and preparation for retrieval) facilitated by a panel of experienced rural general practitioners
- Small group interactive clinical simulation sessions covering a number of rural emergency medicine clinical scenarios
- Develop confidence to lead a team (medical, nursing and allied health) in response to rural emergency situations using available resources
- Participate as a member of the medical team responding to an emergency situation
- Increase awareness of the multiple factors which influence a patient’s decision to seek health care and comply with medical advice in rural and remote communities
- Critique and reflect on actions and responses to emergency situations and participant in and lead a debriefing and feedback session
- Share self-care practices and stress management techniques suitable for medical, nursing and allied health professionals, particularly for those in rural and remote communities with reduced access to professional services available to more urban healthcare professionals
Previous participants in RACGP Rural Clinical Simulation ALMs have provided the following feedback: “Great session!”; “Strongly recommend to all doctors.”; “Highlight of the conference.”; “The ALM has increased my confidence working in a rural area.”
This ALM will cost $315 inc GST.
This ALM is pre-approved for a 1-day Rural Procedural Grant for those eligible in either of the Emergency Medicine, Anaesthesia, or Obstetric components.
Please note: Registration includes transfers between the International Convention Centre Sydney and the training facility. Morning bus departs the International Conference Centre at 7.15am.