We understand that you’re not just GPs but also business owners. The professional skills building stream at GP17 has been developed in direct response to your feedback that you’d like your College to deliver more education in this area.
These 1.5 hour interactive workshops have been developed as a journey through the key components of managing your own business. These will be delivered by subject matter experts assisting to enhance your business management skills.
The program sessions include:
- The future of General Practice
- Financial and tax management for you and your practice
- Strategic management: Growing your business
- The one-minute diagnosis – Think Again
- Identify how general practice has changed over the last 50 years
- Explain the current context of general practice in Australia
- Identify factors that shape the direction of general practice
- Formulate a strategy to support a successful general practice
A professional skills building session designed to answer GP questions around business, financial and tax management challenges. You will hear from a number of business specialists as well as a fellow GP. The session incorporates a mix of discussion, interview, audience interaction and a risk/value assessment workshop.
- Uncovering what your practice looks like and how you do that
- Using your data to plan for growth
- Expanding services the practice is providing
- Proactive managed care plans and chronic disease management
- Reviewing the practice staffing resources and skills – Given your practice population what staff do you need
- Reallocating resources and upskilling Vs Acquiring new staff
- Future proofing your practice
- Entertaining and interactive workshop to understand how intuition and thinking short-cuts contribute to clinical decisions. Participants will learn to recognise their own cognitive bias and how to guard against wrong decisions.
- First things first
- Leadership, culture and people management
- Medico-legal: pitfalls for GPs and practice owners
- Partnership or sole owner?
- Business planning and mapping
- Different business models – what suits your plan?
- Types of insurance
- Theoretical framework of what practice they want to set up
- Planning a practice that can adapt to the future and changes in primary care space
This session will provide the best possible patient management strategies for improved patient outcomes. A general practice needs to understand its leadership structure, the importance of creating the right culture, and the ability to manage its people. When these core fundamentals are established and understood, the general practice team can work collaboratively towards a shared vision.
- Issues of privacy breaches, results follow up, diagnostic error and emerging trends through a series of case studies.
- Interactive element: Cases and problem solving for each area in a group with time to share
- Cases will include:
- Privacy; case study involving a privacy data breach.
- Failure to follow up of results
- Clinical presentation several times to the same practice – including cognitive bias and poor use of records
- Anti-natal screening – NIPT and genetic testing
- Request for GP records from a third party
- Overall Q&A discussion
- Cases will include: